Chantal,

In an early English context, describing someone as "black" alone usually
means that he is dark or has black hair, as far as I know - it's something
that still survives in folk song ("Some say he's black, but I say he's
bonny").

I haven't a reference myself, but my feeling is that his brother Esau (whom
I know is also described as a hairy man) has a traditional history of being
portrayed as red-headed.  So I'm wondering if Jacob's black hair is
dichotomous (is that a word?) to Esau's red.

Best regards,

Jane

  _____