A very good reference on the castration of stallions in Roman times with a detailed description of the surgery provides chapter 99 of the Corpus Hippiatricorum Graecorum (CHG), authored by the famous vet Apsyrtos. Additionally, quite a lot of votive stones donated by or sarcophagi of Roman veterinarians show the castration clamp, the „otolabis“, apparently used as a guild symbol, therefore, and indicating the castration of stallions as a core activity of the vet job.

Best,

Gerhard

Prof. Gerhard Forstenpointner

Archaeozoology and Comparative Morphology

Institute of Anatomy

University of Veterinary Medicine Vienna

Veterinaerplatz 1

1210 Vienna, AUSTRIA

ph    +43 1 25077 2503

         +43 1 25077 6332