Dear All, Safety is super important. Seat belts have proven their worth in many tests I've read. But, sometimes, it would be nice if you could bale out. But the chances of surviving don't look good. On another subject is tyre pressure. Such a simple subject that we all think we know about, yet almost no one runs the right tyre pressure, anywhere. Manufacturer's recommendations are not followed. In fact, almost no one even knows that there are recommendations, that correct tyre pressure depends upon the load, and the road. Google truck tyre load to inflation tables. Michelin does a nice one with charts and advice. Did you know that a 20% over inflated drive tyre will wear out 22% faster? Check out american Michelin. Almost every class 8 heavy truck steer tyre is under inflated, and all the others are at least 20% over inflated, when legally loaded. Log trucks and every other truck that works off highways needs far lower pressures. We set our AIR CTI pressure range on drive tyres from 30 psi to 92. That's just over 2 bar, up to just over 6 bar! This covers a tandem drive, 8 tyres, with a load up to 16.5 tonnes. Safety example: We did scientific tests with half a dozen engineers, yaw sensors, and every other sensor you can imagine on a Volvo prime mover and a tri axle trailer. We compared straight line stopping distances with traditional 7 bar pressures, compared to the correct pressures for the load, on a lightly loaded truck trailer combination. Correct pressures stopped 15% faster!!!! Every log truck should have AIR CTI at least on the drive tyres. We are doing more steer tyres as customers find the benefits. We're also doing out back road trains from the steer right through to the end trailer. The savings, the benefits, we're greener, etc. The ROI on a drive tyre system, just in savings, on a log truck is months, not years. Most states here in Australia are making CTI mandatory on log trucks. AIR CTI makes the best CTI in the world, at a very reasonable value for money. We're also making inroads in Canada and the USA, after being number one in Australia for nearly a decade. We need smart people with gumption, that want to make money doing good. Any suggestions, directions, etc would be appreciated. Happy new year to all. Thanks for listening Chet Cline Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 17:21:15 -0500 From: [log in to unmask] Subject: Re: A note on the 2013 Swedish road safety statistics To: [log in to unmask] Dear all, This is indeed interesting. Although I do not have any data, I do know that in Quebec as in the rests of Canada fatalities are down as well. On a similar issue, one of our company members, a logging company in the interior of BC, has asked us for information regarding seat belt use by truck drivers. It is company policy that all drivers use seatbelts. However, some of their drivers feel that they are better off not wearing seatbelts when operating off road (i.e. forest gravel roads) because in the event they lose control of the truck, they can jump out of the truck before it goes over a cliff. In my many years working in log hauling this is a familiar refrain I have heard. We beleive that In reality, there is a greater chance that he is killed being thrown from the truck than being trapper and crushed. Or so we have been told since I have not seen any studies directly related to heavy trucks and seat belt use. Does anyone out there have studies on the use and safety aspect of truck driver seat belt use? Although we are specifically looking for log trucks off-road we realize this is a small sample so any info would be welcome. As well, info in cases in mountainous terrain would be useful to present to the drivers. Thanks, Jan Michaelsen, F.E./ing.f. Research Leader/Gestionnaire de recherche 570, boul. Saint-Jean, Pointe-Claire (QC) H9R 3J9 ( 514-782-4524 )514-588-8085 + [log in to unmask] De : Technical, operational and economic aspects of road freight transportation [mailto:[log in to unmask]] De la part de Pauwelussen Joop Envoyé : Sunday, January 12, 2014 9:09 AM À : [log in to unmask] Objet : Re: A note on the 2013 Swedish road safety statistics Dear all Considering the safety statistics of the last decades, one observes a decrease in fatalities, being mainly due to in-car systems such as safety belts, air bags etc. The trends in accidents is not the same as the trend in fatalities. That requires a discussion on more dimensions then only vehicle related. My understanding is that there is still a lot to be gained by: - Chassis management systems and connected car functionalities - Infrastructure, standardization roads in a limited number of classes and adapting the design to that: self-explaining roads - Emphasis on the road user, driver, vulnerable road users. Safety measures are not always understood in the same way by all drivers, road users. Too much support may have opposite effects of what one is aiming for. Driver support should account for differences between drivers. Drivers must be considered to be the sensors/actuators making their own decisions - There is a serious risk of increasing distraction for road users, which require measures to avoid that. I don’t believe that a draconian police force will be able to change that. - Part of the road network to be dedicated to special types of mobility means (distinction between clean mobility, vulnerable road users, heavy traffic/special lanes/special times,…) Regards Joop dr. Joop P. Pauwelussen MBA HAN University of Applied Sciences Director HAN Automotive Professor in Mobility Technology P.O. Box 2217, 6802 CE Arnhem Ruitenberglaan 29, 6826 CC Arnhem T: +31 (0) 26 3658276 M: +31 (0) 6 24908532 Follow the HAN at DAKAR on www.DakarGO4.nl and www.facebook.com/HANgo4 From: Technical, operational and economic aspects of road freight transportation [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of [log in to unmask] Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2014 3:08 PM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: Re: A note on the 2013 Swedish road safety statistics Anders When we put together the 'Road Safety Action Plan' in the late '90s, the road fatalities in EU 15 were 40000. Now, (OK in EU 27) there were about 28000 killed. All down to safer cars, extensive seat belt and child restraint use, less drinking and driving combined with a more draconian police force/effective traffic violation measures---and a general acceptance by society that to cause risk on the road is a no-no. John From: Technical, operational and economic aspects of road freight transportation [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Anders Lundström Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2014 12:58 PM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: A note on the 2013 Swedish road safety statistics The Swedish Transport Agency has recently presented the preliminary 2013 statistics on fatalities and severe injuries on Swedish roads. There was no English version of the news release. Since it is rather remarkable, I will try to summarize and comment. 264 people died on the roads in 2013. This is the lowest number since 1944. We had a different society in the mid-forties. A car was definitively not a part of an ordinary household and fossil fuels were scarce during the war years. The number of annual vehicle kilometers must have increased by magnitudes. The number of road fatalities peaked in the mid 60-ies, 1 313 in 1966. Not known to all younger Swedes, the Swedish parliament had overruled a referendum (83% voted for keeping left) and decided (83% voted for changing to right) that Sweden should change from left side traffic to right side. Once this was done in 1967, it was wisely decided that part of the organization that had been set up for the change was to continue as a permanent road safety organization. The change-over led to an immediate safety improvement when overtaking. Almost all Swedish vehicles had left side steering wheel. This meant that you had to steer into the other lane in order to have a view of the traffic ahead, unless you had a passenger scouting. Sadly, in 2013 the number of people with severe injuries has increased to 4 681, 47 % of which are bi-cyclists. A number of factors combine to the ongoing gradual improvement, e.g. infrastructure, vehicles, differentiation of permitted speeds. I am sure that there will be similar step-by-step improvement regarding the environmental impact of road transport. Finally, my warmest thanks to IFRTT President Paul Nordengen for his kind words in his January newsletter. Kind regards, Anders Lundstrom, retired with an outlook *************************************************************** The ROAD-TRANSPORT-TECHNOLOGY mailing list is published by International Forum for Road Transport Technology *************************************************************** *************************************************************** The ROAD-TRANSPORT-TECHNOLOGY mailing list is published by International Forum for Road Transport Technology *************************************************************** *************************************************************** The ROAD-TRANSPORT-TECHNOLOGY mailing list is published by International Forum for Road Transport Technology *************************************************************** L’information contenue dans le présent courriel ainsi que tout document attaché pourrait contenir certaines informations confidentielles ou protégées contre la divulgation. Si vous n’êtes pas le destinataire visé par ce message, ou si ce message vous a été adressé par erreur, s’il vous plait alertez immédiatement l’envoyeur en répondant à ce courriel avant de le supprimer ainsi que tout attachement. Toute diffusion, distribution ou autre usage du contenu de ce courriel par toute personne autre que le destinataire visé est strictement interdite. The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents may contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or if this message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender by reply e-mail and then delete this message, including any attachments. Any dissemination, distribution or other use of the contents of this message by anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. *************************************************************** The ROAD-TRANSPORT-TECHNOLOGY mailing list is published by International Forum for Road Transport Technology *************************************************************** *********************************************************** The ROAD-TRANSPORT-TECHNOLOGY mailing list is published by International Forum for Road Transport Technology www.road-transport-technology.org ***********************************************************