Although I started learning RDA on a DIY approach I'm in the unusual position that I was then fortunate enough to attend some training with Barbara Tillett.  As a result of that and the (very helpful) Cambridge, BL and Oxford materials, I did some very training for the team introducing RDA and explaining how we would deal with RDA copy cataloguing , and I've also been able to produce our internal documentation.

Two members of my team have watched the Cambridge training modules and they are now producing training based on our documentation which they will deliver to the team.  We are meeting on Wed this week for another discussion about that, but the current plan is for one session with the whole team, and then sessions with individuals or pairs to supplement that group training.

Despite having been on a course and watched online training etc I'm aware that there is still a lot I need to learn, in particular to do with formats other than monographs, so it's been very useful to hear about the sources people are using for DVDs this morning.  I've just started last week trying to teach myself RDA for serials, but as I don't actually do any serials cataloguing it could potentially take me a bit longer to get my head round that I think!

Helen
From: CIG E-Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jackie Johnson (Library Services)
Sent: 13 January 2014 14:17
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CIG-E-FORUM] CIG Monday Afternoon session: Training

We have drawn up a training programme to take place over the next few months, starting with an introductory session for all staff, then more tailored sessions for cataloguing staff, with the expectation that they will do some self tutoring probably using the Cambridge materials (thanks very much for these), plus some discussion sessions. As mentioned earlier, trying to explain FRBR, and WEMI etc to the uninitiated, even the initiated, is quite a challenge!

Jackie

Jackie Johnson
Metadata Team Leader
Library Services