Hi all,

I am interested in finding any faunal analyses that may identify the bone remains from soap processing.  Some have anonymously claimed without providing leads that bones might have been highly fragmented to render grease for soap, but I am not aware of any zooarchaeological research into this beyond some ethnoarchaeological accounts of Native American grease rendering for a range of products such as pemmican.  My understanding of fats used in soap, particularly in the historic period, would more likely involve subcutaneous fats such as lard.

Any knowledge about bone involvement in soap production would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Adam Heinrich