Hi,

I think "letting it be hidden" may be a more appropriate phrase. They get buried over time unless someone attaches a flag to them, like avalanche victims.

The problem with all online resources is that they need attention to be visible - this may be by Search Engine bots but also by individuals that curate them e.g. my colleague Lisa Featherstone has been exploring Pintrest (http://www.pinterest.com/penguinnotlob/xerte-links/) and many of us use social bookmarking e.g. Delicious.com to tag other examples https://delicious.com/search/xerte so comments against them can be captured.

Depositing Xerte links in the JORUM repository would be a valuable way to highlight Xerte resources to the HE community and hopefully FE too e.g. http://find.jorum.ac.uk/find?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=xerte&button=

Xerte.org.uk has many examples in the showcase section http://xerte.org.uk/index.php?option=com_k2&view=itemlist&layout=category&task=&id=&Itemid=698&lang=en but this is not a solution to the problem, which is to have a publishing strategy for the community that could use it, perhaps enhance it.

The problem is really that the metadata about learning resources is often inadequate to find them - decent quality descriptive text for search engine robots to use has to be visible somewhere. At least if a repository is used these can syndicate the metadata to each other.

Finding 'stuff' is a discipline problem as much as a technical problem. If the all the Xerte servers we know of were on a handy list we could query the RSS feeds too.

I have a few projects using Xerte for developing digital literacy in the disciplines and they will be using blogs to point to resources too http://www.heacademy.ac.uk/digital-literacies so a convention to use #xerte or Xerte tags helps. Google blog search yields nearly 7,000 results: https://www.google.com/search?tbm=blg&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1280&bih=850&q=%23xerte&gbv=2&oq=%23xerte&gs_l=blog-hp.3..0i30l10.6308.7483.0.9037.6.6.0.0.0.0.118.381.5j1.6.0....0...1ac.1.24.blog-hp..0.6.381.0SRIudV1ssE#gbv=2&hl=en&q=xerte&tbm=blg

So, to make Xerte resources discoverable there has to be a publishing strategy - perhaps this should be part of an institutional practice, but if the individuals who produce them promote them into communities then their discovery is far more likely.

Terry McAndrew
Advisor, Jisc TechDis                    Academic Lead (Digital Literacies), Higher Education Academy

T 01904 717580     M 07920 273411     E [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>     Skype terry.mcandrew

Web http://www.jisctechdis.ac.uk<http://www.jisctechdis.ac.uk/>     Twitter @terrytechdis, #techdis     JISCmail JISC-TECHDIS

JISC TechDis, advising the education sector on technologies for inclusion and accessibility.
c/o The Higher Education Academy Building, Innovation Way, York Science Park, York, YO10 5BR, UK.

TechDis is part of Jisc.