/Dear Peter/,
     VMT (Royal Navy signalese for 'very many thanks') for your trouble
- I haven't been through all he links, but will do so.  Of course,
Aubrey House was the school where young John Kipling went to school from
the age of about eight to 13.
     And yes, the allusion was to "1066 and All That"  Over here, there
is currently a favourite series of children's books, also made into TV
programmes - "Horrible Histories: 'The Rotten Romans', 'The Terrible
Tudors', etc, etc., which my grandaughter enjoys - but my daughter is
currently reading to her from '1066 and All That' - and it goes down a
storm - being "funnier than the Horribles", so my grand-daughter says.
     Yours,
/Alastair/