On 09/10/13 04:13 PM, Simon Biggs wrote:

> I wonder if there is a comprehensive international list of such events?

The ICA in London held several events. e.g.:

http://www.metamute.org/editorial/articles/vr-worlds-online-1.0

Ah, VRML. Not so much the HTML of the virtual web, more its <BLINK> tag.
There were shows, competitions, sites, lists and meetups all devoted to
it. It destroyed every company that tried to implement it. Some artists
have only just stopped using it. I miss it. So much work made in it has
failed to be captured by the Internet Archive. Maybe it's due an
animated GIF-style revival?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vrml

But there's no Internet Archive for the walled garden of Second Life.
Fortunately blogs and YouTube became popular around the same time as it
did, so there is more documentation of Second Life art, if no more
opportunity to experience lost pieces firsthand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arts_in_Second_Life

http://secondlife.com/destinations/arts

http://secondlife.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_museums_and_galleries_in_Second_Life

If the history of art online is in part a history of the media used to
make and discuss art, VR has a minor but important part to play in that.