On 04/10/13 01:41 AM, Simon Biggs wrote:
> To my knowledge the internet has existed as long as we have had the internet protocol.

That's since 1982, but commercial access to the Internet didn't become
popular until the late 1980s.

> People tell me the work I was doing in the 70's and 80's must have
> been amongst the earliest examples of digital art. However, I was not
> a pioneer but a third generation artist in the field, with the first
> generation emerging in the 1950's and the second in the late 60's and
> early 70's. I was very aware at that time of these earlier examples
> and took much inspiration from them.

This raises the question of what *was* the first art to be sent over the
net (and its companion question, what was the first discussion of it
online? :-) ).

I believe a Harold Cohen drawing was sent from California to London when
Imperial College connected to the Arpanet, for example.

> Memory is short and the published histories are often seriously
> wrong.

Yes. I've been very impressed with CAS's work on British art computing
history, which tallies with the gossip I heard in the 90s.

> These historical discussions are always interesting as
> overlooked pieces of the story are put into the public sphere.

Definitely!