I am in the process of writing up one of my PhD surveys, regarding the use of archaeological apps, websites etc, and of 577 responses, 74% of those surveyed said they had never used a mobile app to access archaeological content.  Qualitative feedback suggests the use of these apps is limited, due to mobile coverage, lack of suitable smartphone, feeling that these are ‘gimmicky’ and short term, and not enough content for daily use… I am processing the data about which location people actually *do* access archaeological content online – and so far it’s heavily weighted towards a PC at work, or on a mobile device, on the sofa with the TV on!

I will post more as I write it up, if it is useful?

Best wishes

Lorna

From: Issues related to Historic Environment Records [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jenny Hall
Sent: 14 October 2013 11:02
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: (Almost) fun Friday!

And that is one of the problems with so many of these apps....... I bought a smartphone specifically so I could use and evaluate for myself various heritage apps. So far, they have been for iPhone only, a later version of Android than the phone I got a year ago, need far more space than I have on my phone (and it's not a particularly cheap one) or need location turned on which I don't want to do as I only have 100Mb of data a month. Rather naively I thought the world I was missing out on would open up before me when I got a smartphone - it's been great for doing my weekly shopping and keeping up with family and friends but so far heritage apps are not working for me.

Having said that I have seen the Archwilio app (Welsh HERs data) demonstrated and if I was to turn location on would be the sort of thing I would find useful.   Though I wish it didn't have a picture of people digging on it - archaeology and exploring our past is about so much more than excavation which should only be a last resort if you can't find the answers out any other way.

Jenny