Dear colleagues,
If anyone can help John Considine with the query below, please contact him directly. I am completely überfragt myself...
Nicola McLelland

From: John Considine [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 24 September 2013 17:01

The German-speaking religious community who lived at Ephrata in Pennsylvania from 1732 onwards had a rule against eating beans. So did the followers of Pythagoras, and no doubt you would know this if you were an educated person who reads Diogenes Laertius or whatever the ultimate source of our knowledge about the diet of the Pythagoreans is. But where can the Ephrata community have got the idea? They were not conspicuously educated.

There probably isn't a single answer, but if you could suggest a secondary source which might be helpful (is there a German equivalent of Louis B. Wright's Middle-class culture in Elizabethan England?) or a tradition of primary sources which might have transmitted the idea (Jakob Boehme does vegetarianism, doesn't he -- but abstinence from beans as well?), I'd be most grateful.

may still contain software viruses which could damage your computer system, you are advised to perform your own checks. Email communications with the University of Nottingham may be monitored as permitted by UK legislation.