HI all,

Just a quick note on behalf of the Museums Association.

Unfortunately, because of the size of the event (1,500 attendees) there aren’t many venues that can fit these numbers and an exhibition as well, so it means we are slightly at the mercy of the very large conference centres.

We do try to keep the costs and fees down – a couple of years ago we significantly reduced the price and took away any extra costs so that attendance includes all lunches, coffees and evening receptions. We also try to pack as much as possible into the programme to give value for money (and time). We stagger prices so that our lower paid members attend at a cheaper price. We also had an early bird discount up until the end of August.

We are trying to make it as cheap as possible and we make no profit on the event, but we do realise it is still not cheap to attend. We will feedback the comments around freelancers and small independent museums into our planning for future conferences.

It’s also worth reiterating Rebecca’s email about the exhibition – it is completely free to attend and gives anyone access to 28 free practical seminars, lots of on-stand demos and product launches, and some valuable networking opportunities as well as the exhibition itself.

We have also been running a series of one-day networking events that are free to members - regional and national members' meetings. The next one is at Mshed in Bristol on 25 Sept and is for MA members in the south west. East of England after that at the Higgins Art Gallery and Museum, Bedford on 10 Dec.

http://www.museumsassociation.org/find-an-event/ev999242

Simon

Simon Stephens
Deputy Editor