Dear Network (!),

May we seek help from your collective wisdom?

At Forncett we are recommissioning a Worthinggton Simpson vertical boiler feed pump. Having stood idle for many years, there is serious corrosion of the piston rod in the area where it passes through the gland at the pump end. The rod has the steam piston at the top and the pump piston at bottom.

Has anyone any experience of, or contacts for, metal spraying a shaft and re-machining to size?

The steel rod is 1 1/4 ins diameter and 40 ins long. The corroded area is about 7 ins long.

With many thanks in anticipation,

Bill Starling.