Thank you Mike for that reference I will have a look; and I totally agree Penny.  Having experienced only 4 group-sessions (not going for the remaining 2) of CBT around a year and a half ago I knew something was off with its very foundations.  I am struggling to figure out how to approach the all pervasive advocacy and practice of CBT, not only in the welfare function of my University, but peers of mine.  It's so frustrating because the people who advocate it are 'experts' and the peers who support it, support it exactly because it is advocated by 'experts' who are 'evidence-based', whatever that means.

On 8 August 2013 15:15, pennypriest <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
But that idea, about CBT being based not on events themselves but our interpretation of events, is precisely the very foundation of CBT. So it's not just BBC reporting which is the problem, but CBT itself...which has obviously been said many times.

On 2013-08-08 14:46, Michael Walton wrote:
Hi,

I just read the article myself and I share your concern. I'm
especially worried by "CBT is based on the idea that problems aren't
caused by situations themselves, but by how we interpret them in our
thoughts". This sentence alone is blaming the victim, and suggests
that situational factors do not matter. If an individual were
depressed because they were unemployed, helping them to reinterpret
their job hunt could help, but it won't improve the economy, make more
jobs or remove the competition.

Have you read much on critical health psychology? The area has some
interesting critical view points on 'mainstream' psychology.

Mike