Well, within the trust I work in, only evidence based NICE recommended therapies can be delivered, so that's your person centred approaches out of the window. It narrows the scope of interventions to individualised ones only and you have to be given a label to get "treatment". Within IAPT, particularly low intensity work, it truly appears to be interventions by "battery therapists", see em' quick, briefly and directively, perhaps increasing burn out for therapists and an impersonal standardised McDonaldised type of intervention. I was amazed to read an article in last month's issue of Clinical Psychology Forum written by a Graduate mental health worker where she describes PWP workers as implementing common factors "through a series of empathy dots, these being marks placed into the margin of a pre designed psychotherapy interview schedule so that, the worker is reminded to say something warmly empathic and/or understanding at intervals within the interview". You couldn't make it up!!!

Sent from my iPad