Hi,

I was wondering whether anyone knew of any critical and community psychology articles focusing on the issues of lean management systems in mental health care? In the trust where I work, we were told to treat "patients like cars" as this management theory stems from Toyota production systems. Adherents and promotors of this ideology can be rather messianic, and it is being rolled out massively in many trusts. I would love to read stuff on the impact on staff and their well being and the impact on how service users and their problems are constructed and responded to. Much has been written about from a critical and community perspective on the negative impact of psychiatric and individualist psychological perspectives on people labelled as having mental health problems, but I am struck by what appears to be a lack of commentary from such a perspective on such a huge and significant ideology which is coming to dominate much of mental health services.

I am really looking forward to people's thoughts, as I feel very much on my own with these concerns

Jane Mitchell

Sent from my iPad