Morning, chums!

Just a query, really, for the avoidance of doubt.

Does anyone else get really irritated by external contractors making up
names for local topographical features? The number of times I have had
to consult maps to find where people are talking about is a waste of
time, and, frankly, shows a disregard for the locality. I have had
otherwise excellent contractors rename features that have perfectly good
names well displayed on OS material, which just promotes confusion. The
problem is that when these wretched invented names are used in reports,
subsequent work just repeats the errors / inventions. I'm happy to call
that big rock in Australia 'Uluru' rather than the colonisation name
'Ayers Rock': please do the same for British sites.

Vince

Vince Russett
County Archaeologist
Development Management Group
North Somerset Council

Our Historic Environment Record is now on-line: Go to the North Somerset
web site (http://www.n-somerset.gov.uk <http://www.n-somerset.gov.uk/> )
then use the tabs Environment / Conservation / Archaeology/ Historic
Environment Record. Enjoy!

Landline: 01934 426456
Mobile:    07919 265645

Please note my work hours are usually 8am to 4pm

I will be on annual leave on Monday 12, on Monday 19 and all of the the
w/c 26, in August: the w/c of 9 and w/c 23 September; the w/c 14 October
2013

Keeping in touch
Visit www.n-somerset.gov.uk for information about our services
Council Connect: for all streets, open spaces and environmental protection enquiries visit www.n-somerset.gov.uk/connect
Care Connect: for all adult social services enquiries visit www.n-somerset.gov.uk/careconnect
Out of hours emergencies: 01934 622 669
Privacy and confidentiality notice:

The information contained in this email transmission is intended by North Somerset Council for the use of the named individual or entity to which it is directed and may contain information that is privileged or otherwise confidential. If you have received this email transmission in error, please delete it from your system without copying or forwarding it, and notify the sender of the error by reply email. Any views expressed within this message or any other associated files are the views and expressions of the individual and not North Somerset Council.  North Somerset Council takes all reasonable precautions to ensure that no viruses are transmitted with any electronic communications sent, however the council can accept no responsibility for any loss or damage resulting directly or indirectly from the use of this email or any contents or attachments.