Nicola, this type of volunteering is available in Scotland through an organisation called Project Scotland http://www.projectscotland.co.uk which organises placements that mean that "participants are eligible for Jobseekers Allowance/other benefits while on a ProjectScotland opportunity"

At the Ballast Trust we've worked with Project Scotland to provide a volunteer placement for three volunteers to date. All have been recent graduates looking to get work experience to help when applying for jobs. Some have been interested in a career in information management and for others we have provided more general work experience, focusing on administrative tasks, publicity and social media work that would be useful to them.

Kiara

--
Kiara King
Archivist