-

The 17 Designs That Bell Almost Used for the Layout of Telephone Buttons - Megan Garber - The Atlantic
it became a run-off between the traditional calculator layout and the telephone layout we know today. And the victory was a matter of efficiency. "They did compare the telephone layout and the calculator layout," she says, "and they found the calculator layout was slower."

http://bit.ly/17u9ZU0

Source: http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/08/the-17-designs-that-bell-almost-used-for-the-layout-of-telephone-buttons/279237/
See if people are clicking on this link: http://bit.ly/17u9ZU0+
Try the bitly.com sidebar to see who is talking about a page on the web: http://bitly.com/pages/sidebar