The reason that chapels were immediately attached to infirmary wards in Hotels-Dieu in the later Middle Ages was so that the bed-ridden patients could at the very least hear the masses and hours celebrated there.  I've been wondering just how to imagine their "participation".  For many of them, it must have been enough just to be aware that it was happening.
Jim
From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Timothy J. Johnson [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: July 28, 2013 8:48 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] liturgical terminology in translation

I would have to disagree with the developing consensus. I believe lectio should be translated as reading. To translate lectio as lesson may already indicate a particular interpretation. The simple meaning of lectio is reading and this translation leaves open a number of options as to how those who heard/attended/participated in the liturgy may have experienced the service in question. For some it may have been a lesson (teaching) they heard, but for others it may have been an invitation to performative transformation.

to: [log in to unmask]