Hi - a comment on TCs and other residetial rehabilitation services -  as some would know, we have completed the ATCA Standard and it is now going through the process of certification so that it will be available under ISO for bodies under licence (which ATCA retains) to be used in accreditation of residetial services. In 2002 we modified the SEEQ to the Modified EEQ (MEEQ) and they have since become known as ATCAEE. There are 13 indicators based on the essential elements in the ATCA Standard. If you were operating as a good resi rehab you would be expected to achieve 80 percent of criteria marked as essential in criterion 1 - 6. If you are a TC you would be expected to achieve 80 percent of all 13. The TC ones focus on Community as Method and other elements we would expect of TCs. This way we have developed a quality framework which governments can ask all residential services to undertake and we use the ATCA Standard as peer review tool to help programs develop into TCs and to move services from Provisional to Full Member status. Happy to share some more about this in Prague. Lynne
Sent from my BlackBerry® from Optus

-----Original Message-----
From: Rowdy Yates <[log in to unmask]>
Sender: Therapeutic Communities <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 13:09:16
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [EFTC] EMCDDA: no evidence on effectiveness of drug-free TC?

Stan

I wasn't really envisaging any vetting process.  If I was, I'd probably use something like George De Leon's SEEQ to separate TCs from wannabe TCs.  I know that's occasionally an issue (at least in the UK) and I have sometimes had some quite terse exchanges with 12-step residential services that have wrongly (in my view) described themselves as TCs.  But with articles in peer-reviewed journals I don't think that question arises.  Where articles indicate that field sites were TCs or that the sample includes TC residents or former TC residents, I would think to include them.  Even if I disagreed with the authors about whether these were genuinely TCs or not, the fact would remain that they are part of the TC evidence base "out there".  There may be an argument for adding a comment that questioned the status - but obviously that would turn what is already a big job into a massive one - and as you know, I work pretty much single-handed and without a budget for this stuff.  There may be articles that don't specifically mention TCs but which I know for one reason or another actually are TC-related.  That would be more of a judgement call and at this stage, I'm not sure how I would deal with them and I'm open to suggestions.

R. Yates
Senior Research Fellow
Scottish Addiction Studies
School of Applied Social Science