From: JISCmail German Studies List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Anne Simon
Sent: 05 June 2013 16:55
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Name Change for IGRS

Dear Colleagues,

As a result of the recent HEFCE review of the School of Advanced Study, the IGRS has been informed that a change of name will be necessary as, apparently, the "Institute of Germanic & Romance Studies" does not accurately reflect what we do.  Below is what came down to us from the Dean:

"The Dean has been in discussions with the Director of the IGRS to consider whether a change to the name of that institute might be appropriate in order to reflect correctly its future focus and remit. This is evidently a delicate matter, on which the Director of the IGRS will wish to consider a range of viewpoints, including that of the institute’s Advisory Council. Notwithstanding, it is currently considered that the name ‘Institute of Modern Languages and Cultures’ would be suitably inclusive."

We have been instructed to consult our "stakeholders" on the proposed name change and to elicit suggestions for catchier alternatives.  Hence I would be very grateful for any comments and/or suggestions you may have.

Best wishes,

Anne