  Well, in terms of metaphors, there is one that I find especially disturbing: http://www.wsg-hist.uni-linz.ac.at/auschwitz/html/Muselmann.html

On 08/06/13 10:42, James Symonds wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
My friend thinks that I am bonkers for raising the topic of zombies, but I think that the idea of the zombie works as a metaphor at many lavels - the lumpen proletariate, stumbling through late-capitalism, being just one.

If I could just think of a  product that zombies could consume, (other than human flesh).  I could open up a whole new market, and make a fortune!