And replying for myself - first, insert the usual 'not everyone wants
to use Google Hangouts' statement, whether over privacy, 'all the eggs
in one basket' concerns, their tax stance or whatever...

Secondly, a plea to consider the quality of the experience for the
online viewer! For example, the Institute for Historical Research sets
up a chat and a slide window alongside the video of the speaker and a
twitter hashtag, and they regularly post to say which slide is on the
screen in the room (if it's not visible on the video feed). It sounds
like a lot of faff but it does make it much closer to the experience
of being in the room.

I've also just come across this presentation from Erin Blasco on
'Videotaping & Webcasting Museum Lectures: Access, Social Learning,
and Recycling' http://www.slideshare.net/erintangerine/webcastin-ppt
which is full of tips of audience-centric webcasting.

Cheers, Mia

http://openobjects.org.uk/
http://twitter.com/mia_out