Hi,

fslroi uses voxel, but would not be the right tool for your purpose
anyway, since it changes the image size, cropping it to the defined region.

If you want to create a cubic mask you can use the -roi option of
fslmaths. This option uses voxel coordinates, so you have to adjust the
values according to your voxel dimension.

If you want to create a more sphere-like ROI you can do follow this
description in a recent post:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=FSL;6ce4bff3.1301

I hope this helps,
wolf