Hi Robert - try David Gardner's effect size calculator at http://esi.medicine.dal.ca/what-is-the-esi.html This approach is the best I've seen to actually put numbers to SMD and helps avoid using terms like small, medium, and large which are all relative.

On 2013-04-11, at 1:54 AM, "Weyant, Robert J" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I am seeking advice on how to interpret Standard Mean Difference values that would be useful for clinicians.

We are conducting a systematic review using a continuous outcome measure and including only RCTs.  We have elected SMD as our measure of effect.  This is understandably difficult for clinicians to interpret and we wish to map it to language such as "small, medium or large" effects.    Cohen's d has some references that suggest how to do this, but this categorization has been challenged as being too stringent for clinical studies (being initially based on social science research).

My question is – can anyone suggest guidance (publications) whereby SMD is interpreted for clinical (RCT) type studies, or provide other insight that might help.

Thanks.

_____________________________
Robert J. Weyant, DMD, DrPH
Professor and Chair
Department of Dental Public Health
346 Salk, School of  Dental Medicine
University of  Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh PA 15261

Google Phone: (412) 423-8495
Office Phone: (412) 648-3052
DPH Administrator: (412) 648-3534

Editor-in-Chief
Journal of Public Health Dentistry

Digital Vita Profile

This email may contain confidential information of the sending organization.  Any unauthorized or improper disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this email and attached document(s) is prohibited.  The information contained in this email and attached document(s) is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by email and delete the original email and attached document(s).  (W)