Careina,

One thing to try if other ideas don't work or are too difficult, is covalently (therefore unambiguously) labelling a little of your protein with a fluorescent dye.  If you add 20 nL of this to the drop after the crystals have grown, protein crystals will light up, but salt crystals will not.  Thermo make some very easy-to-use kits for labelling.  See methods section of our paper Cryst. Growth Des., 2011, 11 (8), pp 3432–3441.

Could you also label the DNA   . . .   ?

Hope it helps, best wishes, Patrick