Careina,

One thing to try if other ideas don't work or are too difficult, is
covalently (therefore unambiguously) labelling a little of your protein
with a fluorescent dye.  If you add 20 nL of this to the drop *after the
crystals have grown*, protein crystals will light up, but salt crystals
will not.  Thermo make some very easy-to-use kits for labelling.  See
methods section of our paper *Cryst. Growth Des.*, 2011, *11* (8), pp
3432–3441.

Could you also label the DNA   . . .   ?

Hope it helps, best wishes, Patrick

--
 [log in to unmask]    Douglas Instruments Ltd.
 Douglas House, East Garston, Hungerford, Berkshire, RG17 7HD, UK

 http://www.douglas.co.uk
 Tel: 44 (0) 148-864-9090    US toll-free 1-877-225-2034
 Regd. England 2177994, VAT Reg. GB 480 7371 36