Dear All

Very belatedly I had an idea on this. I searched Kipling's Works for references to New York and found on at least two occasions he referred to 'New York State' rather than plain 'New York'. I didn't spot any references to 'New York City'. So despite all the good work that has been done by other members, I decided to add it to the discussion.

The mentions of the State are in "Chautaquaed" which was published in Abaft the Funnel, although it was one of the Letters that was written at the time of his journey back from India via the USA to England.

The Professor retired into his hammock for
a while. Then he reappeared flushed with a
new thought. "If you want to see something

quite new let's go to Chautauqua."
"What's that?"

"Well, it's a sort of institution. It's an

educational idea, and it lives on the borders
of a lake in New York State. I think you'll
find it interesting; and I know it wil show you
a new side of American life."

Another from the series of Letters from the same time is in "An Interview with Mark Twain", From Sea to Sea, Chap XXXVII:

Saved from the jaws of the cowcatcher, me wandering devious a stranger met.
‘Elmira is the place. Elmira in the State of New York—this State, not two
hundred miles away’; and he added, perfectly unnecessarily, ‘Slide, Kelley,
slide.’

On the opposite side of the scale, from "My Sunday at Home" (The Day's Work) we find the description:
." . . he was a New Yorker from New York"

Yours,

David Page