Dear Tim,

I guess that you are then talking about the definition of the word 'definition', aren't you?

You'd like to get everyone to agree with the way you understand that word, but many (as you say) use it differently. Sounds a lot like the earlier discussion about the word 'design' to me.

Maybe this is a recursive problem.

Should it be solved by accepting that people will never fully and completely agree on definitions, or fighting to the bloody end, I tend to vote for the former.

However, I do like your working characterization of a 'working characterization' as well very much :) and propose that instead of the 'fight to bloody end' we can continue these illuminating and respectful debates/discussions that clarify the reasons why these differences exist, and thus deepen our mutual understandings. Agora at its best!

Cheers, Kari-Hans

----