Dear Birger, Tiiu, and list

Tiiu wrote:

-snip-
When working on a Ph.D., we are interested in... contribut[ing] new
knowledge to disciplines... designing is not "research" in the way that one
does research to earn a Ph.D... research in the disciplines of design... is
grounded in the concept of a Ph.D. where new knowledge is constructed.
-snip-

I agree with Tiiu's position. It's important to distinguish between design
activity which aims to produce a design, and research activity which aims
to produce knowledge. I think Horváth (2001, p.1) puts it well when he
defines design research as "generating knowledge about design and for
design". I like this definition because in only a few words it clearly
states that the aim of research is to produce knowledge, that this
knowledge concerns understanding design (what is it and how does it work?)
and that this knowledge should be used to improve or support the design
process and design practice.

Emphasising the distinction between design activity and research activity
is separate from the debate as to whether designing should be
scientific (Cross,
1981), a debate which has recurred throughout the history of design
methodology at least since the 1960's and perhaps back to the 1920s (and
I'm sure superior historians such as Eduardo can find many earlier