On Mar 13, 2013, at 11:15 AM, Terence Love wrote:

> As part of that, I would be grateful could you say in more detail what you
> mean by 'a reflective interpretation of situated phenomena that places
> emphasis on the thinker's prior experience and summary beliefs, preferences
> and habits'. 'Who' is doing the 'reflective interpretation'? Why is it
> 'reflective'? How is 'emphasis' done  and how does it  causally affect
> things and what does it affect?

OK: I'll keep it short.
A reflective interpretation is one which relies on the content of memory (ie, established neural networks) to find meaning in a focal moment.
Situated phenomena are manifested in the state of mind that becomes the focus of thought at the moment.
The  thinkers knowledge (including beliefs, preferences, habits of mind, and self knowledge) is applied to this situated information to give it meaning.
The thinker does the reflective interpretation but current thought and input from the experienced situation are also active in the blend.
The interpretation is reflective because it emphasizes prior knowledge to make current thought and experience understandable.
Emphasis is given by  the emotional salience of the prior knowledge, preferences and habits of mind applied to the focal situation. It may also come from contingent thought and action.
A reflective interpretation of a focal situation adapts prior knowledge and blends it into an affective expression of the meaning of what is experienced. It does not cause it.
An interpretation, however, usually causes  elaboration, action or behavior in response to the Formative expression it generates.
What is affected depends on the focal situation, the intention regarding it, and the interpreted expression. It is the thought itself.

There is more to be said of course but this is, after all, a listserve.

I hope this response is helpful.

Chuck