Dear Friends and Colleagues,

The Royal Anthropological Institute's Education Outreach Programme is
putting together a publication for schools and colleges in the UK to
inform students about anthropology, what anthropologists do and why it
is such a key subject at pre-university level. One of the sections of
the publication will be on careers. We are hoping to gather a diverse
range of profiles from anthropology graduates around the world.

Deadline for submissions 11th March 2013

What we are looking for:

Profiles of anthropology graduates in various careers who have studied
anthropology (either as a Bachelors, Masters or PhD) and who are now
working in jobs outside academia. We are looking for graduates with at
least 3-5 years of work experience and are working in the public sector,
business, NGOs, public health, etc. We are particularly interested in
non-traditional career pathways and how your anthropological knowledge
and skills are applied in your current position (either directly or
indirectly).

What are the profiles for?
A publication for schools and colleges indicating what anthropology
graduates do with a degree in the discipline.

What does the RAI offer in return?
A copy of the publication and a chance to publicise your work and
career.

Who is eligible to be profiled?
Any anthropology graduate (BA, MA, PhD) that has at least 3-5 years work
experience and is working outside academia.

How should the profile be written?

The profile should be written in the first person and should be in a
journalistic style. Rather than a traditional chronological account of
key achievements we are looking for more of an engaging personal
narrative. Here are some of the questions we are hoping your profile
will seek to answer or explore:

-       A bit about your academic background: which branch of
anthropology did you study, where you got your degree, what you did your
dissertation on, which work placements you did etc..

-       Your choice of career path(s): how did you choose the career(s)
that you have undertaken, did you know what you wanted to do before
studying anthropology? What were the circumstances which influenced your
path(s)

-       Training/Qualifications: did any of your career paths/jobs
require additional training/qualifications/work experience

-       What aided you in getting the job(s) you did? Did you meet any
challenges with getting a job within your career sector?

-       How do you currently apply your anthropological knowledge and
skills to your work?

Do you have any examples that I can look at?

Yes for examples of the type of profiles we are looking for please see
the attached careers brochure or take a look at our career profiles on
our Discover Anthropology website. Here is an example:
http://www.discoveranthropology.org.uk/career-paths/cultural-organisatio
ns/fionakerlogue.html

How long should the profile be?

150-500 words - the profiles will be edited and tailored for the
publication but will keep the integrity and factual interest of the
piece.

How do I submit my profile?

Please email Nafisa Fera at [log in to unmask] please also submit a
high resolution image of yourself preferably 'in action' at your current
job, or perhaps illustrating part of your career trajectory.

Will my profile definitely be published?

Unfortunately we will not be able to publish all the profiles we receive
but will publish inspiring stories that represent as many different
career sectors as possible. We may also display some of the career
profiles at outreach events such as the London Anthropology Day.

Deadline for submissions 11th March 2013

Thank you very much and we look forward to receiving your submissions!

Best,

Nafisa

Nafisa Fera

Education and Communications Officer

Royal Anthropological Institute

50 Fitzroy St.

London W1T 5BT

020 7387 0455

www.discoveranthropology.org.uk
<http://www.discoveranthropology.org.uk/>

Email commands:
1. To stop getting emails from the list (eg if you're on leave) send an email to [log in to unmask] with the following message:
set psci-com nomail

2. To resume getting messages from the list, send an email to [log in to unmask] with the message:
set psci-com mail

signoff psci-com

Please allow up to 24 hours for these commands to activate.

Remember that you will need to send commands using the same email address that you used to register on psci-com.
To contact the psci-com list owner, currently Jo Brodie, please send an email to: [log in to unmask]