We still have some 30 minute slots left for presentations at our users meeting! Also still keen to hear from any students or poster givers.

2013 ONE-DAY CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENT & CALL FOR PAPERS

The 27th annual conference of ASSESS, the SPSS Users' Group, will take place on
Friday 25th October 2013 in the Alcuin Research Resource Centre (ARRC), University of York.
As part of this we are aiming to have four half-day workshops involving SPSS on the same day in two parallel sessions (am and pm) in the PC lab at the same venue anda poster session. A third parallel users' meeting session will be held in the ARRC auditorium on the same day and is intended to consist of papers, software demonstrations (demos) and/or case studies involving the use of SPSS, R or Python software.

The committee welcomes contributions on SPSS-related topics (including R and Python) from all academic and professional fields.
We are particularly interested in presentations (e.g. papers, software demos, case studies), workshops and posters.

These may cover areas including medicine, marketing, business, government and the environment, illustrating
graphics such as Chart Builder, GIS Maps, customising tables, statistical analyses such as multilevel modelling, factor analysis and
analysis of variance applied in SPSS or R, survey work, utility related analyses or data mining, perhaps, using Clementine.
Other areas of interest include practical SPSS or R syntax tips, teaching using SPSS or R,
practical examples of using the output management system (OMS) in SPSS, SPSS syntax, macros, Python and/or R with SPSS,
performing bootstrapping and simulations in SPSS or R, handling messy data, spreadsheet management, tips on using SPSS or R and
experience using SPSS or R products and procedures.
We would be interested in anyone who might like to give a presentation, lead a half-day workshop or give a poster covering these or associated topics.
If there is sufficient interest there will be a prize for the best poster.  We are also particularly keen to hear from STUDENTS who
are SPSS or R users who might be interested in either giving a 30 minute presentation or a poster.  As a further incentive to students we will
be offering a 100 pound voucher as a prize for the best student presentation and a 50 pound voucher prize for the best student poster.
Presentations from previous meetings are on our website at http://www.spssusers.co.uk/.

Normally 30 minutes is allowed for the presentations (including some time for questions) at the users' meeting and between
2 and 3 hours for the workshops. Speakers and poster givers do not pay the conference fee and speakers may also claim expenses.

If you would like to give a workshop/presentation/poster (or even if you think you might but are not yet sure or would like to know more), please contact the meeting organiser, Peter Watson (see below).  A printable form is provided below for your convenience.

The Alcuin Research Resource Centre (ARRC) is at the University campus located in Heslington,
2 miles to the south-east of the city centre. It takes 10-15 minutes in a taxi from the
railway station. Buses also go to the University
(See http://www.york.ac.uk/admin/security/transport/bus.html).
University Parking and location details are at http://www.york.ac.uk/np/maps/.
Accommodation is bookable via tourist information on (01904) 550099 or (01904) 554455.

The meeting is open to all current users of SPSS and anyone interested in SPSS.

Come along to

* hear SPSS users talk about applications, problems and solutions
* see users demonstrate using SPSS and R
* learn about SPSS syntax
* learn about applying and understanding statistical methods that are used in SPSS and R
* hear the latest news from SPSS UK staff about product developments
* exchange ideas with other SPSS users
* suggest ideas for a better user group.

Registration forms for the meeting will be available later.

PUT ASSESS 2013 (FRIDAY 25TH OCTOBER 2013) IN YOUR DIARY NOW! A FORM IS GIVEN BELOW:

ASSESS: SPSS USER GROUP : CALL FOR PAPERS

Please complete this form to respond

            27TH ANNUAL ONE-DAY CONFERENCE, FRIDAY 25TH OCTOBER 2013
                   ARRC, UNIVERSITY OF YORK, YORK, UK

The committee welcomes contributions on SPSS-related topics (including R and Python usage) from all
academic and professional fields, particularly software demonstrations
and case studies (in areas such as medicine, marketing, business, government and the environment) illustrating
applications in SPSS/R/Python including interpretation of any output, using graphics in R or SPSS such as SPSS Chart Builder,
practical SPSS or R syntax tips, GIS Maps, customising tables, statistical analyses such as multilevel modelling, factor analysis  and
analysis of variance applied in SPSS, survey work, utility related analyses, data mining, perhaps using Clementine,
text mining, teaching using SPSS, practical examples of using the output management system (OMS) in SPSS, SPSS syntax, macros,
using Python and/or R with SPSS, performing bootstrapping and simulations in SPSS or R, handling messy data, spreadsheet management and
experience using SPSS or R products/procedures.

Normally 30 minutes is allowed (including some time for questions) for presentations and between 2 and 3 hours for the workshops. We are also keen to hear from poster givers particularly students. Speakers and poster givers do not pay the conference fee and speakers may claim expenses.

If you'd like to do a presentation involving a software demo and/or case study involving using SPSS or R, submit a poster or run a half-day workshop
using SPSS on Friday 25th October or at a future meeting or are interested in contributing in another way,
please contact Peter Watson. We are particularly keen to hear from STUDENTS; Please don't be shy - we are a friendly group and there are prizes for the best student presentation (£100) and student poster (£50)!

[ ] I am willing to run a SPSS half-day workshop on Friday 25th October 2013/at a future meeting
[ ] I am willing to give a R, SPSS or Python presentation (e.g. software demonstration and/or case study) on Friday 25th October 2013/at a future meeting
[ ] I am willing to submit a poster involving SPSS, R or Python for viewing on Friday 25th October 2013/at a future meeting

[ ] I may be able to do one of the above. Please contact me later.

Name:

Contact details (Include E-mail if possible):