TUESDAY 19TH MARCH 2013, 14.00 – 18.00, AT THE BRITISH DENTAL
ASSOCIATION, 64 WIMPOLE STREET, LONDON, W1G 8YS.

	Dear Colleagues,
 How do you view the rising tide of social media - a threatening flood
of trivia, or an opportunity for knowledge to be shared more
imaginatively than ever before? Either way, there's a chance to get on
top of the flow at our next afternoon meeting.

	In most organizations there is a desire to develop more effective
knowledge sharing and a culture of collaboration, but little
recognition of what this means in terms of staff development and
overcoming barriers to change The enormous growth of social media
tools and social/professional networks over the past few years has
created new opportunities and new challenges for people and
organizations that want to embrace this dynamic world of social
interaction and fluid knowledge flows. However, it is not widely
recognized that collaboration and knowledge sharing are skills and
practices that rarely get taught

	Participation in social media is something we may learn on the job in
a hit or miss fashion. Some people are natural at it. Others struggle
to understand it At the next ISKO UK afternoon meeting "The power of
social media to support knowledge sharing", the first session
explores social media tools and social networks, and their context for
peer engagement and knowledge sharing, and the Internet as an evolving
ecology. Speakers are David Briggs of Kind of Digital, and Richard
Hare of Flare Consulting. In the second session, Steve Dale of
Colabor8now and Virginia Henry of UnLtd [1] (The Foundation for Social
Entrepreneurs) will describe new roles and skills, and overcoming
barriers to knowledge sharing and building a culture of trust.The
afternoon will end with a Panel Q&A session followed by wine and
nibbles.

 You will find the programme and other details of the event, and can
register until March 14th via the ISKO site
http://www.iskouk.org/events/social_networking_March2013.htm [2]. The
event is *free* to ISKO members and to full-time students.

	The fee for non-members is just *£40*. All fees must be paid in
advance - there is no provision for payment on arrival. Registration
opens at *1.30* and we shall start promptly at 2 p.m. Please pass this
invitation on to any colleagues who may be interested.

	Our AGM precedes the meeting at 1pm; Members are urged to attend
and  non-member observers are  welcome.

 ISKO is a not-for-profit scientific/professional association with the
objective of promoting research and communication in the domain of
knowledge organization, within the broad field of information science
and related disciplines. Founded in 2007, our UK Chapter has been
attracting lively and steadily growing audiences to its afternoon
meeting series (see slides and recordings at
http://www.iskouk.org/events.htm [3]) as well as its very successful
second biennial conference (http://www.iskouk.org/conf2011/index.htm
[4]) last year. Its third conference is planned for July 2013 on the
general theme of “Knowledge organization – pushing the
boundaries” http://www.iskouk.org/conf2013/ [5].

	Hoping to see you there,

 ISKO UK publicity
http://www.iskouk.org [6]