Hi all

(Sorry for the necro) At UoM we get atomic (every click in Blackboard, by everyone, ever) data logged into an Oracle Discoverer table. The data from Blackboard isn't perfect, but for many actions it does provide a useful string by which the type of action or tool can be recognised. It logs the user, their role etc etc, the time, what they did (as I say, not perfect).

We can then aggregate on these to produce a profile, of sorts, for each course. We count up (and often average, to allow comparison between different cohort sizes) things like total actions, discussion posts authored, actions in the wiki tool, entry into Turnitin instances and many more.

(Here, this is easier: http://media.humanities.manchester.ac.uk/humanities/screencasts/humelt/bb_data_jisc.swf)

The resulting data is quite rich and we're in the process of working out ways to present digestible information to different audiences (management at various levels, T&L committees, course tutors themselves, discipline academics). Some of the reporting is inspired by Mark Gamble's work at Telford. I've seen some of his material with some very illustrative scattergraphs setting quantity of usage against variety of usage within courses, layered year on year (Mark: I hope I got that basically right?)

The main issues/problems:

·         The table is massive. Right now I think it's around 450m rows and grows by maybe 0.5m per day. Aggregating on that takes resources and I think our data warehouse team want to shoot me.

·         The data from Blackboard isn't as complete as it could be (for us, anyway). Some tools are not logged or are logged incompletely, so if the data were to be used to measure performance at all, any omission could be unfair on someone using any such tool.

I think Mark Gamble and Telford get around the "massive" issue by running a constant aggregation (new batches of rows feed into a lowest-common-denominator aggregation, like course-user-day) which I imagine reduces the row count by a useful factor.

Kind regards

Philip Styles | eLearning Support Officer

Internal: 61744 External: 0161 306 1744

C1.42 Ellen Wilkinson Building

www.humanities.manchester.ac.uk/tandl/elearning/