Thanks Prof Friedman for the note. I think I have not written properly. I am still single finger typing as I fix things up at the moment. I should have said PhD is the academic pinnacle at college, not working academic. Learning doesn't confined to the college premises anyway. It goes far beyond those walls and the ceiling above our heads. The Learning spirit should be infinite. Scholarship should go to the most motivated and able, especially to those who are not in the most favourable social class. (those who are clearly well off in a privileged situation should not take scholarships that tagged with huge amounts of money.. It should be parted to those who need the money)

Actually I have different mindset towards college, scholarship and PhDs. To me,  entry to the terminal degrees go to the finest. There is no point letting letting so many people doing PhDs. There isn't a need to do that. The reason why PhDs are now the usual basic requirement  is because we have too many of them. We can even find them in high schools and polytechnics. There is a complex situation whereby those with doctorate degrees and are very bright don't end up teaching at universities. I think it's a waste of human resource. Then again there should be another system for such situations.

PhDs are research degrees. They should be for the brightest and the most brilliant of minds regardless they express themselves literally or visually.

Also, to me, I value character very seriously. I don't expect saints but I do expect them to come round with very honourable characters. When I term someone as 'Dr', I expect them to not only look like one but do like one. PhDs are the terminal degrees in college. Supposedly this level is for the brightest and the most capable, they are then seen as intellectual leaders in their respective colleges as far as being students are concerned. We cannot allow leaders to be lacklustre. However again in reality, this is untrue.

At times, I often wonder what kind of world we are getting at. If we talk about doctorate graduates who go into teaching, I have come to see quite a good number of them being more 'robotic' at delivering a thought as to being very fluid and natural. Often chuting in with some odd ball pretentiousness, as if a butler is there. I often find that amusing as it is ridiculous. There are,of course, some doctorate students and graduates who gain much respect with knowledge and humility. But I see this as the minority, not  the majority.

Fostering research communities come from sincerity and the staunch insistence to grow with the whole bunch of other different human species at different levels. Robust work is a must. But I often feel the freedom and the resource of materials should be made out in the open. So anyone who wants to do learning and the research could do so. Research study should not be confined within the walls and ceilings of an institution. It should be free for all. For what you may know, you may find brilliance and a couple of great minds fit for your divine PhDs, and a more enriched world of knowledge for real execution. At times, I do not even respect the conventional way of recruiting students. I doubt the accuracy now.

Anyway, i type too much. Apologies for the length of post. Hope my finger typing comes out well.

Cheers,
Karen Fu