Dear all,

Thanks so much, Charlie and others, for commenting on the Moot. I sadly
couldn't stay as long as I'd have liked as I had a family issue, but it
*was* uncanny how the event echoed but then also somehow didn't seem to
manage to carry forward the atmosphere and inclusiveness of the early 90s
- which I have fond memories of too.

I am sure the organisers (including Bronac?) deliberately chose the Moot
name and format for many of the same reasons that events like the
Limehouse Town Hall 'DMZ' did, or indeed NTK/Mute's 'Extreme Computing' in
2002. (London's Readme! launch, organised by Matt Fuller, whose title just
totally escapes me right now, inspired those as well, I seem to remember…)
Gathering together the different tribes, niches and sub-genres that find a
home under 'digital', 'network' or 'computer' culture has always been an
important way to escape the cultural, disciplinary and methodological
divisions that abound; and, while hackfests have always known how to use
such moots to share knowledge and make better code, now of course it might
be cast as a useful means to make that elusive sacred cow of 'innovation'
more likely to 'emerge'.

I had to watch the morning's discussion on the UStream and was also struck
by comments from Katrina - who's made helpful interventions here too. But
I was disappointed that an attempt from the audience to problematise
certain vocabularies wasn't better taken up. Many of these are being
naturalised at a rate that is truly frightening (around 'disruption' and
'resilience' in particular) and aren't being recognised for the political
phenomena that they are. (See, for example, Mark Neocleous track the
function of terms like 'anxiety' and 'resilience' for the dominant order;
he discusses how effectively these are introduced to instil docility and a
sense in people that their inability to cope is an individual problem, and
one that can be rectified by a change in them, not the outside world!
@http://www.metamute.org/editorial/articles/anxious-resilience). I was
just slightly perplexed, given the enormous experience of so many
involved, that such premises weren't a greater part of the starting
position, when we now, unlike in the early 90s, don't have the excuse of
nothing being quite visible yet (and so abstract speculation being
something of a necessary and productive liberty, as it was then).

John Naughton, whose keynote I also missed, has recently been remarking
that educational establishments can't conceive of the "hell they are
walking into". As well as all the opportunities, do they recognise the
sustained and profound threat presented by new models of 'digital
transformation'. I'd agree that riding the wave, or the tiger, or whatever
exciting naturalistic metaphor might be to hand this week, will not be
possible when governments and all the large funding agencies intensify the
move of capital from pedagogy (particularly face to face and group based
critical pedagogy) to the 'MOOC' model of large-scale, global education
currently in ascendance. In many contexts, it seems obvious to me, this
will help rather than hinder the current programme of austerity; and it
will move 'education' out of the university, however hard academics insist
that what they're doing within it is unique and valuable. The advance
notice served to Arts & Humanities has been truly sobering in this regard.

In spite of this, I was really encouraged learning about the background of
the Advisory group that Bronac mentions, as they did not seem
techno-determinist in the slightest, and appeared to have a real
understanding of the broader social forces at play in past history, let
alone the present transformation. Likewise, I find the nature - and
tentative description - of areas of likely interest/import that have been
listed on the Digital Transformations Themes reassuring. I've listed them
below, and, while they're alive to the human-technological 'apparatus', I
reckon it's important to remark they seem about as far from the
affirmative discourses of post-humanism, human enhancement and cyborg
subjectivity (that prevailed in the 90s) as you are likely to get. Things
like:

	•	how we communicate and use knowledge in the context of the ‘infinite
archive’, including changes in forms of knowledge and how we conduct
research, modes of reproduction and dissemination
	•	the human implications of the expanded archive, including memory,
perception, truth, ethics,  and the use of language
	•	changes in publishing, notions of authorship, intellectual property,
the rights and responsibilities of the individual and the state
	•	the democratisation of scholarship and the globalisation of the
knowledge economy
	•	transformations of disciplines and inter-disciplinarity
	•	international or ‘at distance’ collaborative working
	•	questions of access and availability, and new forms of expression, in
the creative and performing arts

The only thing that I find strange about all of these development and
analytical frameworks is that there appears to be a working assumption
that 'digital' can be made to support the institutional formations that
presently exist. Reading between the lines, while there is a sense that
disciplines, departments, projects will 'open up' to the people, increase
access and enable some sort of measured porosity, there is no sense of
anything more troubling or, indeed, 'disruptive' to worry about or respond
to. To my mind, there's somehow no sense or reflection of the turbulence
and social emergencies in, for want of a better word, 'the outside world',
and, to use another phrase from the dominant lexicon, that seems a real
'deficit'.

Pauline.

--
Pauline van Mourik Broekman
Director

W: http://www.metamute.org
W: http://www.openmute.org
E: [log in to unmask]

New titles from Mute Books:

ANOMIE/BONHOMIE & OTHER WRITINGS, by Howard Slater:
http://www.metamute.org/en/shop/anomie_bonhomie_other_writings

AGIT DISCO, by misc authors (conceived & compiled by Stefan Szczelkun;
edited & with an introduction by Anthony Iles)
http://www.metamute.org/en/shop/agit_disco