On 11/27/12, John Briggs wrote:
 What you may be thinking of is similar to the situation with the "alien priories" in England, which were mostly dependants of French houses. Most of these were in fact what we would call "granges" (a word which I would hazard a guess to not exist in France...) rather than actual "priories". For example, Boxgrove Priory in Sussex (a daughter of Lessay) not only had an early 12th century cloister, but a substantial 13th century choir. Contrast this with Hayling Priory in Hampshire (a cell of Jumièges), which was little more than a small manor house.

'grange' certainly does exist in French, both in the general senses of 'storage building for harvested crops' and 'farm' and in the specific sense of 'small ecclesiastical dependency of an agricultural nature', though in the latter two senses it sometimes occurs in modern French as a plural form -- 'les granges' -- denoting a single establishment. Cf. (e.g.) R. Naz, ed., _Dictionnaire de droit canonique (Paris, 1935-1965), tome 5, cols. 987-993; Paul Imbs, ed., _Trésor de la langue française_ (Paris, 1971-1994), tome 9, pp. 423-425; and -- rather extensively -- Kurt Baldinger (ed.), _Dictionnaire étymologique de l’ancien français_ (Québec [later, Tübingen], 1974- ), vol. G, cols. 1208-1213.

Best,
John Dillon

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]