> Since we have been a little quiet here lately, .......

And here is a spot of information, though it may only be relevant to those
of you within the range of British TV transmitters (although of course the
programme may get sold around later if the Powers That Be think it may be
commercial enough...)

On Tuesday 27 November at 9.00pm, BBC4 are putting out the first of 4
programmes entitled

"The Dark Ages: an Age of Light."

The presenter is WALDEMAR JANUSZCZAK.

In next week's issue of the Radio Times, there is a full feature article by
W J entitled "The first face of Jesus." with the subtitle "WJ says the
artists of the Dark Ages had the most difficult job of all - creating the
iconography of Christ". There is also a full page illustration of a mosaic
from the Arian Baptistry in Ravenna showing the Baptism of Christ who is
depicted as young, beardless and nude.

I don't have a "link" for any of this, but I hope it is enough to whet
appetites. BTW WJ may use the expression "Dark Ages" but it seems that the
thrust of his argument is that - artistically at any rate - these Ages were
anything but Dark.

Personal footnote: I want to watch this but it is being transmitted at the
same time as a sit-com I am following. I do wish programmers would recognise
that viewers may have wide tastes ...... And yes, I am familiar with
I-player ......

Brenda,

Brenda M Cook,
Independent Scholar

"I care not if you bridge the sea,
Or ride secure the cruel sky,
Or build consummate palaces,
Of metal or of masonry;

But have you wine and music still,
And statues, and a bright-eyed love,
And foolish thoughts of good and ill,
And prayers to them who sit above ?"

James Elroy Flecker: "To a poet a thousand years hence." (1915)

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]