http://www.columbia.edu/cu/lweb/digital/collections/cul/texts/ldpd_6029936_002/pages/ldpd_6029936_002_00000367.html?toggle=image&menu=maximize&top=&left=
c. Relinqui for your reading pleasure.

Tom Izbicki
----- Original Message -----

From: "Christopher Crockett" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, November 8, 2012 2:40:25 PM
Subject: Re: [M-R] Ecclesiastical furniture?

From: Stephen Morris <[log in to unmask]>

From: Laura Jacobus <[log in to unmask]>

> Not sure how you'd feel about 'liturgical paraphernalia', but it's probably
what I'd use.

thanks, Stephen & Laura.

"objects" would include the Holy Eucharist, would it not?

"hardware" sounds kind of Rough & Ready.

"paraphernalia" is illegal, at least in Southern Indiana.

http://www.ai.org/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar48/ch4.html
(IC 35-48-4-8.1-8.3)

From: "Cormack, Margaret Jean" <[log in to unmask]>

> How about "furnishings" instead of "furniture"? To me this could

> include statues, chalices, altarcloths, the lot!

Jon Canon suggested "furnishings" and, yes, it is somewhat all-inclusive.

but is it better than the "furniture" which i seem to be adverse to?

From: Thomas Izbicki <[log in to unmask]>

> Not exactly useful in modern English, but: The medieval canon law tended to
use the Latin vasa & vestimenta.

i.e., as a phrase, "vasa & vestimenta"?

which category do candlesticks fall into?

or ornamented book bindings?

>See the decretal Relinqui [X 3.44.2] in the Gregorian Decretals .

i don't seem to have my copy of that to hand, Tom.

what do modern priests call this, uh.... paraphernalia?

thanks all.

like i said,

Picky, Picky, Picky.

to: [log in to unmask]