From: A forum for critical and radical geographers [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Nick Megoran [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 19 November 2012 15:29
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: mobile phones and conflict

Dear Critters,

I've been asked to go into a school and do the following:

" give a workshop on "the political geography of the mobile phone" - although you may be able to think of a better title.  The idea was to talk about the sources of elements and products that go into a mobile, and the links between the demand for these and conflict and war, especially in the Congo."

Aimed at 15 year- olds This is off my usual territory but sounds like a great idea. Does anyone have suggestions for resources (pedagogical, NGO report,  or other), plus academic research they could point me to? If anyone has actually done this sort of thing and has some advice, that'd be great.

Thanks!

Peace - Nick

-

Dr Nick Megoran,
Lecturer in Political Geography,
GPS Office, 5th Floor, Claremont Tower, School of Geography, Politics
and Sociology,
Newcastle University,
United Kingdom NE1 7RU.

Tel: +44 191 222 6450
url: www.megoran.org

"In our time of wars, of national self-conceit, of national jealousies
and hatreds ably nourished by people who pursue their own egotistic,
personal or class interests, geography must be - in so far as the
school may do anything to counterbalance hostile influences - a means
of dissipating these prejudices and of creating other feelings more
worthy of humanity." Peter Kropotkin, 'What geography ought to be',  1885.