Hi folks,
I have recently received a comment on a paper, in which referee #1 (excellent referee, btw!) commented like this:

"crystals were vitrified rather than frozen."

These were crystals grew in ca. 2.5 M sodium malonate, directly dip in liquid nitrogen prior to data collection at 100 K.
We stated in the methods section that crystals were "frozen in liquid nitrogen", as I always did.

After a little googling it looks like I've always been wrong, and what we are always doing is doing is actually vitrifying the crystals.
Should I always use this statement, from now on, or are there english/physics subtleties that I'm not grasping?

Thanks a lot,
ciao,

Sebastiano Pasqualato, PhD
Crystallography Unit
Department of Experimental Oncology
European Institute of Oncology
IFOM-IEO Campus
via Adamello, 16
20139 - Milano
Italy

tel +39 02 9437 5167
fax +39 02 9437 5990

please note the change in email address!