Without any pre-amble, launch into 40+ PowerPoint slides _dense_ with lengthy bullet points, indecipherable equations, incomprehensible (but clearly very clever) diagrams.  Sprinkle with unexplained quotes and familiar clipart.  Move rapidly through the slides, but not quite so fast as to allow them to lose all hope of grasping what is going on.  Deliver in a monotone.  Occasionally pause for no apparent reason.

Done well, this approach can kill sloths at 100yds.

Graham

-----Original Message-----
From: Online forum for SEDA, the Staff & Educational Development Association [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Giles Martin
Sent: 23 October 2012 09:28
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: how to lose your students in 30 seconds?

"Bob doesn't know what he's talking about" (where Bob is another lecturer on the course - names have been changed to protect the innocent)

"So, I'm assuming you are all familiar with [insert theory no one in the class has studied before]" Often unsaid.

Anyone who takes lessons from Sheldon Cooper (see Big Bang Theory on TV) on motivating students - usually a paraphrasing of "I'm a genius, but you're all thick, inferior beings who should just be happy to be in my aura".

Reads word for word, and only the words, on the handout that has already been given out. For the whole lecture. For the whole course. (Yes, that happened in one of my modules - and if you think reading from powerpoint is bad...)

Another one that happened in my ugrad class (different class - I should add most of the lecturers were great!) *just started lecturing when the internal phone in the theatre goes off.
Picks up phone, nods, says "mmm hmmm" turns to class* "I've got to go. PDQ."
*walks out*
He didn't come back. We never did find out what the phone call was about.

Giles