Dear all,

The JLeRN Experiment, JISC's investigation of the Learning Registry, is coming to an end this month, and we've been gathering a bunch of resources about UK HE and the Learning Registry to share with the community.

This email gives a list of blog posts we have published in advance of a final project meeting next week, where we will be finalising our recommendations and outputs - including some really interesting tasks performed for us by some very smart people. If you've barely dipped your toe in before, do read on because some of these blog posts may be the entry point you need!

Anyway, if you are interested in the Learning Registry, have a look at the links below and pick any that interest you to have a look at and feed back on in the blog comments sections. The authors would like feedback by the 22nd October, or perhaps by mid-week next week, which is only a few days; if you happen to feed back after that your thoughts will at least be recorded for posterity if not incorporated in our final outputs:

Understanding and using the Learning Registry: Pgogy Tools for searching and submitting - by Pat Lockley.
http://jlernexperiment.wordpress.com/2012/10/16/understanding-and-using-the-learning-registry-pgogy-tools-for-searching-and-submitting/

- Pat has been very involved in the Learning Registry from the start. This blog post gives you access to all four of his open source tools that work with the Learning Registry, set up to work with our JLeRN node. They are very easy to install (two of them plug very easily into Chrome) and try out, plus Pat has made some brief videos demonstrating how they work. The tools use the Learning Registry to enhance Google (and other) searching, and support easy submission of metadata and paradata to a node. I've added in a sample search you can use with the Chrome tools that should show you how it works pretty quickly.

Taster: A soon-to-be released ENGrich Learning Registry Case Study for JLeRN
http://jlernexperiment.wordpress.com/2012/10/17/taster-a-soon-to-be-released-engrich-learning-registry-case-study-for-jlern/

- The ENGrich project are working on a case study on why and how they have implemented a Learning Registry node to enhance access to high-quality visual resources (images, videos, Flash animations, etc.) as OERs for engineering education. Their work has involved gathering paradata from academics and students; this taster gives you an overview. A really interesting use case. Please pass this one on to anyone working with engineering resources too!

Taster: some ideas for a use case on paradata and accessibility opportunities
http://jlernexperiment.wordpress.com/2012/10/17/taster-paradata-and-accessibility-opportunities/

- Terry McAndrew, an accessibility expert from JISC TechDis, came to our first Hackday, and got us thinking about how the Learning Registry model for capturing and sharing paradata might be useful for people to share information about how accessible resources are. We commissioned him to write up a use case for this; look here to see his beginning thoughts, and add any of your own.

How widely useful is the Learning Registry?: A draft report on the broader context
http://jlernexperiment.wordpress.com/2012/09/29/how-widely-useful-is-the-learning-registry/

- We've been keeping half an eye from the start on the potential affordances the Learning Registry might offer the information landscape outwith educational technology: what about library circulation data, activity data and activity streams, linked data, the Semantic Web, research data management? And what if we are missing a trick; maybe there are already solutions in other communities? So we commissioned a Broader Context Report from David Kay at Sero Consulting. This is his first draft; we're looking for feedback, questions and ideas.

The JLeRN Final Report: some interesting sections we'd like your thoughts on (pick one or read 'em all), pulled out as blog posts:

JLeRN Reporting: Appetite and Demand for the Learning Registry
http://jlernexperiment.wordpress.com/2012/10/16/jlern-reporting-appetite-and-demand-for-the-learning-registry/

JLeRN Reporting: Skills and Capacity in the UK for the Learning Registry
http://jlernexperiment.wordpress.com/2012/10/16/jlern-reporting-skills-and-capacity-in-the-uk-for-the-learning-registry/

JLeRN Reporting: Recommendations for Future Learning Registry Work in the UK
http://jlernexperiment.wordpress.com/2012/10/16/jlern-reporting-recommendations-for-future-learning-registry-work-in-the-uk/

I look forward to your feedback and questions. And please push these out if you know anyone who might be interested in any particular blog post.

Best wishes,
Sarah

--

Sarah Currier  |  Jorum Service Manager<http://www.jorum.ac.uk/>

Mimas  |  Roscoe Building (5th Floor)  |  Oxford Road  |  The University of Manchester  |  Manchester  |  United Kingdom  |  M13 9PL

Tel.: +44 (0)161 275 6034 (ext. 56034)  |  Mob.: +44 (0)7980855801

Skype & Twitter: morageyrie