My first instinct was "of course not" but I thought I'd best test my
cynicism, and found some slightly confusing results (though my tests were
quick and crude).

First I used the Pinterest site to upload an image that I knew had IPTC
data. See http://pinterest.com/pin/11188699045480037/. The displayed image
appears to have lost all IPTC data.

I then set up a simple web page at
http://www.jamesmorley.net/temp/pinterest.htm with the original jpg,
complete with IPTC data, displayed. When I pinned that it seems to have
kept the Creator and Description fields, but lost some other fields that
had been set - http://pinterest.com/pin/11188699045480138/

As an aside, I also uploaded the original image to Flickr. Flickr used the
IPTC data to set visible titles, description, tags etc, as well as setting
those values into what it calls the 'exif' information. Oddly it didn't use
the data-taken IPTC field to set that though. See
http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatsthatpicture/8048204244/meta/in/photostream(the
rest of the data there has come from the custom metadata added by the
Nikon camera). What then happened though is that the image files
themselves, apart from the 'original' at
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8314/8048204244_fb5d3451a3_o_d.jpg, lose the
IPTC info. As such, if you then pin the actual Flickr page Pinterest loses
the IPTC info - http://pinterest.com/pin/11188699045480073/

Not sure what that proves, but I thought I'd share! Can someone point me to
an online collection that does have good IPTC data embedded and I'll try
this out on some real-life examples.

James