From: JISC Managing Research Data Programme [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Dr Bill Worthington
Sent: 16 October 2012 11:07
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Call for interest in 'DOIs for Datasets workshop'

Overshadowed by the subsequent trading of blows over the colour of Open Access, RCUK's policy toward open data became more explicit in their announcement on July 16.

"and a statement on how the underlying research materials such as data, samples or models can be accessed"

Not if. How. At University of Hertfordshire we had already decided, in the context of our EPSRC roadmap, to extend our institutional repository to support datasets. A major aspect of making this work is the provision of Digital Object Identifiers for our data.

I have blogged and put up a mind map on this issue at http://bit.ly/QonFoN.

The essentials of my blog are that the concept of using DOIs is clear but the details of acquiring DOIs for a Tier 3 repository are not.

We have had some early discussions with the British Library and with their encouragement I would like to propose a 'DOIs for Datasets workshop', over and above the continuing BL/DataCite series, specially focused on how to acquire or mint DOIs for our datasets. The University of Hertfordshire would be pleased to arrange such an event if there is interest from enough programme members. The agenda would be dictated by demand, but we foresee some sessions already: role of consortia vs national minting services; service level agreement /obligations of a minting body; overview of existing services, apis, scripts and other magic. The workshop would be in held in London or Hatfield in early winter 2012/2013.

To register an interest in DOIs for Datasets workshop please respond directly to my email address below. If you feel moved to discuss the proposed workshop or any of the issues arising on twitter please use the #dois4datasets tag.

(please forgive the lack of references here, you will find live links to sources at http://bit.ly/QonFoN)

best wishes,  Bill
Research Data Management Projects Manager (JISC Managing Research Data Programme) Projects website: http://www.herts.ac.uk/research-data-toolkit
Project tags:  #rdtk_herts, #rdmtpa_herts Dr. W J Worthington University of Hertfordshire PO Box 109, College Lane Hatfield Hertfordshire
AL10 9AB
T: +44 (0)1707 284000  ext. 77883
E: mailto:[log in to unmask]
Twitter, Skype:  wjworthington