Thank you
Do studies report  how they arrive at patient years

Amy

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 26, 2012, at 4:25 PM, "Juan Acuna" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

... It means that there were a number of outcomes in100 years of followup (from a potential endless combinations of time span of followup per person). It is a denominator in cohort data where individuals contribute different times of followup until the given outcome presents. it certainly does not mean "a 100 persons followed for a year". that would be worded something like "outcome per 100 persons per year" , such as pregnancy rates for contraception were reporting is "5 pregnancies per 100 women per year" (Although some use the person-year denominator as well).

In the study, 105 deaths per 100 person-year means 105 deaths in a 100 [combined] years of followup...

Juan M. Acuna M.D., MSc., FACOG.

Associate Professor of Human and Molecular Genetics and Clinical Epidemiology, FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine

FIU Assistant Vice President for Clinical and Community Research

Director, Division of Research FIU HWCOM

Guest Researcher,
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention WHO-PAHO
Collaborating Center

11200 SW 8th Street
AHC2-474
Miami, FL 33199