I'd answer by saying that "mode of issuance" applies specifically to the
resource you are cataloguing. You are not cataloguing the series (though
possibly you *could*) you are cataloguing a monograph which happens to be
issued as part of a series.

RDA 13.1.1 says that mode of issuance is "whether a resource is issued in
one or more parts, the way it is updated, and its intended termination".
This resource (this particular title) is only issued as a single volume, no
future volumes planned so I would say it's a single unit. If you're
cataloguing a series, say where they're not given separate volume titles,
then this would be different.

Celine

--
Céline Carty