Hi all,

A few of us have put together an open letter to Boris Jonhson regarding his unpaid work scheme, please pass it along to your other officers and reply to me if you’d like to add your name! it is a response to this http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/work-fulltime-for-no-pay-or-lose-your-benefits-says-employment-minister-in-crackdown-on-neets-8084156.html

“We write to you regarding the unpaid work scheme 18-24 year olds have to do in order to receive their benefits.

With over 1 million 16-24 year olds out of work our young Londoners are more in need of employment than ever. We are outraged that young people will be forced into free labour, with substandard employment rights, in order to be granted their benefits. This proposal is in direct opposition to your pledge on job creation, as well as the GLA’s work on the Living Wage.

Research from the Department for Work and Pensions clearly indicates that similar schemes such as workfare are having “zero effect” on getting people back into employment. If you were genuinely interested in helping the lives of our young Londoners you would be creating jobs and paid apprenticeships and putting money back into London schools, youth centres and community groups. This scheme is yet another attack on the young and unemployed amidst brutal cuts to education and training opportunities and would leave young people with little in the way of employment rights.

In light of these attacks, we further feel the claim that young Londoners have not contributed to their communities and should therefore be forced to earn their benefits must be rejected. Work experience, where it is taken, should always be voluntary, chosen by the jobseeker and paid at a living wage. Your proposed scheme, as well as similar ‘work for welfare’ ones run by the DWP, do not do this and shy away from tackling a job market where there are no jobs for our young people.

As representatives of students in Higher Education we ask you to reconsider this proposal and instead invest positively in education and employment, not in an exploitative scheme which stands to benefit not the community, but the large companies who will benefit from free labour”

Thanks,

Alex Peters-Day
General Secretary
LSE Students’ Union
Kingsley Rooms, East Building
Houghton Street
London WC2A 2AE
+44 (0) 20 7955 7147
+44 (0) 78 4181 6118
www.lsesu.com

Have your say at the Union General Meeting every Thursday, 1pm, Old Theatre